We have some very exciting and important news to share with you about our new member school, The Beckenham Academy that will open in September 2016 with an offer of 180 places. The new school is strongly supported by The Local Authority for this opening date to meet the need for school places in the Beckenham area of the Bromley Borough.
We will be opening The Beckenham Academy in September 2016, in temporary accommodation, as the delicate and very commercially sensitive negotiations to purchase the permanent site are extremely close to a conclusion.
The temporary site we are proposing is: The Ravensbourne School (TRS), Hayes Lane Bromley.
We were asked by the Education Funding Agency (EFA) to consider other temporary sites for the Academy, however, we chose The Ravensbourne School because it has many advantages for the prospective students:
– Full access to all specialist facilities such as science labs, playing fields, ICT suites, technology rooms, dance studios, music and drama suites and much more.
– It gives students the experience of being part of a large secondary school which is very important for the students’ personal development as they leave Year 6.
– All teaching staff will be on site, which means your son/daughter will be taught by staff who are experienced in teaching Years 7 to 13.
– A central location that is easy to reach from Beckenham because it has existing and well-established routes serving TRS.
– The Beckenham Academy students will have their own uniform, their own Principal (Mrs Codling), their own Year Leader and Tutors.
– Our proposed extended day will run for The Beckenham Academy as TRS has the facilities needed to be able to do so i.e. music, dance, drama, sports etc.
The temporary location at TRS offers the best solution as it allows The Beckenham Academy to fully operate as a ‘school within a school’ and give the students the full experience of an inclusive secondary education. The EFA will now meet with the Local Authority to secure the necessary approvals.
In discussion with Bromley Local Authority it has been agreed that:
– The Beckenham Academy will be in the Borough’s composite prospectus.
– Parents will apply direct to The Beckenham Academy for admission in September 2016.
– Parents can also apply for 6 other preferences using the Bromley ‘Common Application Form’. This gives parents absolute certainty of a school place in September 2016.
– Tuesday 6th October 2015: Open Evening for The Beckenham Academy at The Ravensbourne School (Hayes Lane, BR2 9EH). This will run from 6pm to 9pm and the Principal will be speaking about the developments of the school and will be a chance for everyone interested to experience the ethos of The Ravensbourne School, which will form the basis of the ethos for The Beckenham Academy.
– Open week : Monday 19th October to Thursday 22nd October, 9am to 10.15am – No appointment is necessary during this time however, we strongly recommend you take this opportunity to see a secondary school in normal operation.
What can you do to support us?
We need your continued support in order to continue with the plan of opening in September 2016. The temporary site will require approvals from the Local Authority. Hence, it would be very helpful if you could lobby the following councillors explaining the need for a new school and the fantastic opportunity afforded by using The Ravensbourne School as a temporary location:
Bromley Town Ward Councillors:
- Councillor Michael Rutherford
- Councillor Nicky Dykes
- Councillor Will Harmer
Keeping you updated
We have been working very hard behind the scenes to get to this exciting stage and we’re really pleased to be able to let you know about this exciting news.
The pace will now accelerate and we will keep you updated through the following media:
- e21c.co.uk / http://www.thebeckenhamacademy.info/aboutus.html
- twitter – https://twitter.com/e21cTrust / https://twitter.com/BeckAcademySch
- facebook – https://www.facebook.com/e21cTrust?fref=ts / https://www.facebook.com/pages/The-Beckenham-Academy/1670618236515380?fref=ts
- Google + – https://plus.google.com/114066535565467289739/posts
Thank you for your support. Everyone at E21C looks forward to welcoming The Beckenham Academy in September 2016.
CEO, E21C and Headteacher, The Ravensbourne School